Most of us dread the thought of going through a routine dental exam. But you may not know that your mouth can show symptoms of some of the most serious of diseases. In a periodic dental exam, a dentist examines more than just your teeth and gums. In fact, he may examine your throat, tonsils, palate, breath, and tongue as well. If you put yourself through a comprehensive oral exam, there's a possibility that the dentist might discover signs and symptoms of various diseases and illnesses. For example, abnormal growth can be an indication of oral cancer while an acetone odor in your breath could point towards diabetes. So always remember to give due importance to your routine dental exams because a dentist like Dr. Cruz can discover more than just your oral health issues.
If you have never been brave enough to attend any of your periodic dental exams, it will help if you know the contents of such an examination. Normally, in a routine dental exam, your dentist will go through your teeth and gums thoroughly. He or she will carefully look for signs of decay, illness, damage, or anything else that can hamper your oral health. During this comprehensive checking process, your dentist will aim to discover any swollen gums, weak enamels or any stains and cavities. He or she might also check on the present status of prior treatments like fillings and crowns. If any problem is discovered, your dentist will take appropriate action to treat you.
Reading the above should have definitely made you 'open your eyes' to the seriousness of periodic oral exams. Remember to never miss them and always seek the expertise of Dr. Cruz to enjoy not only good oral health, but also overall health.
« Back to Dental Hygiene Home Page
- Periodic Oral Examination Dana Point - Patients in Dana Point ask, "What is involved in periodic oral examination?"
- Family Dentist Laguna Niguel - Your Infant's First Dental Visit
- Periodontal Disease - The Fight Goes On
- Periodontal Disease Dana Point - Breath of Fresh Air
- Pediatric Dentistry Laguna Niguel - Tooth brushing can be a risky business for children
- Dana Point Dentist - What's a Rubber Dam?
- Gum Disease Laguna Niguel - No Room for Uninvited Guests
- Dentist in Dana Point - Your Dentist Sees More Than Just Your Teeth
- Sleep Apnea Laguna Niguel - What's Sleep Apnea?
- Snoring Laguna Niguel - What are the main causes of snoring?
- Laguna Niguel Sleep Apnea - Is snoring the same as Sleep Apnea?
- Fluoride Treatment Laguna Niguel - What's fluoride and why do we need it?
- Dental Sealants Laguna Niguel - What are dental sealants?
- Sleep Apnea in Laguna Niguel - What's the Difference Between Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea?
- Periodontal Treatment Laguna Niguel - How periodontal treatment in Laguna Niguel can improve your quality of life