The United States Department of Health and Human Services, Administration on Aging reports that the number of Americans who will reach the age of 65 over the next two decades has increased by 31 percent in the last ten years. That's great news! Even better is that more seniors than ever are keeping some, or all, of their teeth for a lifetime. Oral health plays an important role in maintaining overall wellness, appearance, and self-confidence. If you are one of the 25.6 percent of the population in Laguna Niguel who are over the age of 50, it's important to find a dentist who understands your unique needs, including cavity control.
We tend to associate tooth decay with childhood years, but mature patients often have a higher incidence of cavities. They are more likely to have gum recession from some level of gum disease or previous dental work. That exposes an area of tooth root covered only by cementum, which is not as strong or resistant to cavity causing acids as enamel.
Adult patients may take medications that contribute to dry mouth. A flow of saliva is essential in flushing bacteria and food debris from teeth. At some stage, manual dexterity may become a factor that inhibits proper brushing and flossing. Fluoridated tap water remineralizes teeth, helping to prevent cavities and slow their progression. Bottled or filtered water, more popular with adults than children, does not contain fluoride.
I am Dr. Mark Cruz, and I'd like to talk with you about cavity prevention and treatment for mature mouths. I have advanced training in a protocol called CAMBRA, short for Caries Management by Risk Assessment, supported by the University of California San Francisco School of Dentistry.
CAMBRA is an evidence-based technique to identify the causes of dental caries by assessing risk factors specific to your mouth and your lifestyle. Then we manage those issues with the least invasive methods possible, including:
- A simple saliva test to measure bacterial culture and saliva flow
- Digital radiography, a low radiation form of x-ray
- Oral rinses containing antibacterial agents, chlorhexidine, and xylitol
- Fluoride treatments
- Dental sealant
- Topical calcium phosphate to supplement enamel
- Control of pH levels in the mouth
- Appropriate scheduling of recall examinations
The philosophy of the hygiene team at Mark A. Cruz DDS on control of dental caries is simple. We believe that prevention is instrumental in maintaining a level of oral health that enhances your quality of life. We make that happen every day with compassionate care and cutting edge techniques like CAMBRA. Call us today at (949) 661-1006 to become a patient.
« Back to Home Page
- General Dentist Mission Viejo - Dentist serving Mission Viejo offers general and advanced dentistry
- Dentist Near Dana Point - Patients near Dana Point who lack a good night’s sleep seek a highly respected dentist for treatment
- Dentist Near Mission Viejo - Patients in and near Mission Viejo ask a respected dentist about sleep disordered breathing
- 92692 Dentist - Dentist near the 92692 area explains the airway and its relationship to facial development
- Dr. Mark A. Cruz, DDS - A nugget of gold in Dana Point: Meet Dr. Mark A. Cruz, DDS
- 92629 Dentist - The real cost of sleep disordered breathing explained by dentist in the 92629 zip code
- Dentist Laguna Niguel - Finding a dentist in Laguna Niguel who understand mature mouth care
- Dentistry Services in California - What dentistry services do you need from a California practice?