If you've ever had a cavity, you have experienced dental caries. Dental caries, which is typically dubbed as "cavities" or "tooth decay," is when the breakdown of dental enamel happens due to acid and demineralization that occurs on a tooth due to poor hygiene or excessive amounts of bacteria in the mouth.
In recent research, there has been more speculation as to the reason for dental caries. In fact, researchers are finding that there are other factors than just poor hygiene involved in developing dental caries. Research shows that the pH levels in your saliva can affect your chances for dental caries, and that high pH levels can happen for a variety of reasons, including medications that the patient may be on, and can cause an increase or decrease in salivary flow.
Dental caries can be handled with proper dental care and a CAMBRA evaluation with a dentist. CAMBRA stands for "Caries Management by Risk Assessment." This is when a dentist goes through a number of tests in order to determine your risk for cavities and dental caries. This may require a thorough evaluation, which may even include saliva testing to check pH levels and acidity of your saliva. The higher the acid levels of your saliva, the more likely you are to develop dental caries regardless of your oral hygiene habits.
If you are following your dentist's instructions on dental hygiene and are continually experiencing dental caries, you may have a problem with high pH levels in your saliva, or are experiencing a side effect of medications that you may be on. It is essential that you go through a CAMBRA evaluation with your dentist to determine your risk levels of continuing to develop cavities that may affect your dental health and integrity. Contact Dr. Cruz today to schedule a CAMBRA evaluation as a favor to your dental future!
« Back to Treatment for Dental Caries Home Page
- CAMBRA in Monarch Beach - Why Participate in CAMBRA?
- Cambra Monarch Beach - What is CAMBRA?
- Monarch Beach CAMBRA - How Can Acid Reflux (GERD) Affect Your Teeth?
- Dental Cambra Laguna Niguel - What are Dental Caries?
- CAMBRA Dental Monarch Beach - Dental office protects Monarch Beach smiles with CAMBRA evaluations
- Laguna Niguel Dental CAMBRA - CAMBRA evaluations are available from your dental office near Laguna Niguel
- Tooth Decay dentist Laguna Niguel - Laguna Niguel residents can prevent tooth decay with the help of their dentist