If you are missing teeth, you have several options at tooth restoration. One of them is called dental implants. Dental implants are artificial 'roots' made of titanium that are placed into your bone where your missing teeth once were. The height of your bone is important to anchor the implant, if you have less than the required amount of bone, your dentist will augment the bone. Once your bone is at the correct level, the implant is placed surgically. Then, a healing abutment will be placed, after this a healing period begins.
This healing period will allow the bone to ossify around the implant and your gums to heal around the healing abutment. This period will take approximately 2-3 months. You will have a radiograph taken in this period to make sure the implant is well integrated. Once integrated, a final impression is taken. Your dentist will take pictures and models of your teeth for the ceramist to ensure all characteristics of the tooth will be a perfect match. Your dentist will then place an impression coping into the implant and take an impression for the ceramist to make a crown to fit over the implant. Upon delivering your new implant crown, your dentist will place an abutment (which acts as a post inside your implant) then cement your crown on to the abutment.
It is very important to maintain diligent oral hygiene habits to ensure your implant will not fail. If cared for properly, an implant restoration can remain in place for a lifetime. By replacing missing teeth with dental implants, this can provide a person with the strength and stability required to eat all the foods they love without struggling to chew.
« Back to Implants home page
- Best Dental Implants in Laguna Niguel - Dentist in the Laguna Niguel area highlights studies to help patients with uncontrolled diabetes make the best decisions regarding dental implants
- Tooth Implant Mission Viejo - Dentist near Mission Viejo offers dental implant treatment to restore a missing tooth
- Mission Viejo Dental Implants - Dental Implants and a new you!
- Laguna Niguel Dental Implant - With Dental Implants, You Don't Need to Hide Your Smile
- Dental Implant Laguna Niguel - What are the advantages of dental implants?
- Dental Implants in Laguna Niguel - Permanent Tooth Replacement Solution
- Laguna Niguel Dental Implants - Implants vs dentures
- Implants Dentist Mission Viejo - Choosing the right dentist for implants in the Mission Viejo area