How is the quality of your sleep? Your first response may be, "I sleep fine." Now, consider your answer to this question: When is the last time you woke up feeling refreshed? For many patients, the second question may cause them to pause and respond, "I cannot remember, but I think it has been years." If you can relate, it may be time to schedule an appointment with a dentist who has extensive training in the screening and management of sleep-disordered breathing. Dr. Mark Cruz treats patients in and near Dana Point who want to achieve better sleep.
Dr. Cruz will ask patients the aforementioned questions to determine if they may be suffering from sleep disordered breathing. This is a group of medical conditions characterized by abnormalities in the quality or pattern of respiratory activity. These conditions include obstructive sleep apnea and upper airway resistance syndrome. Snoring is a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea. Accelerated wear on the front teeth is a sign of upper airway resistance syndrome.
During an appointment, Dr. Cruz will examine facio-skeletal development, mouth breathing, tongue posture, and tooth wear. He will use a high-resolution pulse oximetry screening that provides objective data to determine the risk factor of a sleep disordered breathing condition. If the findings are positive, Dr. Cruz may refer the patient to the right specialist for further evaluation and treatment.
By taking a multi-disciplinary approach to dentistry, Dr. Cruz stands out from many other dentists. Some dentists will only treat the signs and symptoms of sleep disordered breathing. For example, they may restore the worn or broken teeth with dental crowns. While this may fix the dental issue, it does not treat the airway problem.
Dr. Cruz takes a wellness approach to oral health. He leads in a movement with many doctors around the world to share research, knowledge, and theories about this approach via a "Multi-Disciplinary Airway Collaborative." This platform enables them to exchange information during real-time conversations, which are available on Dr. Cruz's website at http://www.markacruzdds.com/spreecast-videos.html
Dr. Cruz invites you to watch the videos and contact him with any questions you may have. He is committed to helping patients find non-invasive treatments that can help them achieve a better night's rest.
« Back to Home Page
- General Dentist Mission Viejo - Dentist serving Mission Viejo offers general and advanced dentistry
- Dentist Near Dana Point - Patients near Dana Point who lack a good night’s sleep seek a highly respected dentist for treatment
- Dentist Near Mission Viejo - Patients in and near Mission Viejo ask a respected dentist about sleep disordered breathing
- 92692 Dentist - Dentist near the 92692 area explains the airway and its relationship to facial development
- Dr. Mark A. Cruz, DDS - A nugget of gold in Dana Point: Meet Dr. Mark A. Cruz, DDS
- 92629 Dentist - The real cost of sleep disordered breathing explained by dentist in the 92629 zip code
- Dentist Laguna Niguel - Finding a dentist in Laguna Niguel who understand mature mouth care
- Dentistry Services in California - What dentistry services do you need from a California practice?