Sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder which affects millions. In fact, many people do not even know that they suffer from it. This sleep disorder causes individuals to actually stop breathing for a moment, many times during their sleep. While it may be hard for the sufferer to detect, a sleep study makes it easy for a doctor to diagnose.
The two main types of sleep apnea are obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea, coined OSA, is the most common type. This sleep disorder is caused by an obstruction in the airway - when the soft tissues in the throat prolapse due to obesity, an unusual tendency of those muscles to relax, the shape of the jaw, alcohol or depressants, or from tonsils or adenoids. Obstructive sleep apnea can be treated with a CPAP machine or an oral appliance to help realign the jaw, allowing more room for air to pass. This can be arranged with a simple visit to Dr. Cruz after being diagnosed with OSA.
Central sleep apnea, also known as CSA, is a less common form in which the brain is telling the body to stop breathing. It has nothing to do with your airway whatsoever. However, CPAP machines, supplemental oxygen, and certain medications can help ease the symptoms of CSA so you and your sleep partner get a good night's sleep.
Both forms of sleep apnea can lead to grave health problems such as heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure. It is essential to have sleep disorders diagnosed and taken seriously since they have a negative impact on your health and well-being.
If you have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, Dr. Cruz can help. Call today to schedule a consultation. You'll discuss ways that your sleep apnea can be treated in order to get a restful night's sleep and face each day refreshed!
« Back to Dental Hygiene Home Page
- Periodic Oral Examination Dana Point - Patients in Dana Point ask, "What is involved in periodic oral examination?"
- Family Dentist Laguna Niguel - Your Infant's First Dental Visit
- Periodontal Disease - The Fight Goes On
- Periodontal Disease Dana Point - Breath of Fresh Air
- Pediatric Dentistry Laguna Niguel - Tooth brushing can be a risky business for children
- Dana Point Dentist - What's a Rubber Dam?
- Gum Disease Laguna Niguel - No Room for Uninvited Guests
- Dentist in Dana Point - Your Dentist Sees More Than Just Your Teeth
- Sleep Apnea Laguna Niguel - What's Sleep Apnea?
- Snoring Laguna Niguel - What are the main causes of snoring?
- Laguna Niguel Sleep Apnea - Is snoring the same as Sleep Apnea?
- Fluoride Treatment Laguna Niguel - What's fluoride and why do we need it?
- Dental Sealants Laguna Niguel - What are dental sealants?
- Sleep Apnea in Laguna Niguel - What's the Difference Between Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea?
- Periodontal Treatment Laguna Niguel - How periodontal treatment in Laguna Niguel can improve your quality of life