Halitosis or bad breath can be a cause of "social agony." Many people are too embarrassed to even talk because they have bad breath. Keeping their breath fresh can be extremely difficult, but it is possible to put an end to chronic halitosis!
The most common cause of halitosis is gum disease. Halitosis starts when bacteria build up in the mouth. Bacteria-prone areas in the mouth include the tongue, gums and teeth. Bacteria in these parts of the mouth feed on food leftovers and cause a buildup of plaque, which in turn causes gum disease. In addition, bacteria residing in the mouth break down food and multiply. This causes the release of a foul odor, characteristic of halitosis.
Even though halitosis can be cured with chewing gum, mints and other similar products, these are not permanent cures! While these strategies can mask the odor, they do not address the cause - gum disease.
If the periodontal disease is in its early stages, a prescription oral mouthwash such as Decapinol can be useful. Decapinol can stop the ability of the bacteria to grow and multiply on the surface of the tooth and inside the mouth. Other methods which help remove plaque include root planning and scaling. However, advanced gum disease may require gum surgery. This is because the tissue around the teeth becomes very unhealthy and non-receptive to non-surgical treatment.
If you have the desire for fresh teeth and clean breath, don't settle for less! A simple trip to Dr. Cruz can give you the cure to gum disease and your embarrassing bad breath. Treating and correcting gum disease and practicing good oral hygiene can help you say "goodbye" to chronic halitosis!
For a fresh approach to cool, clean breath, visit your neighborhood dentist, Mark Cruz, DDS.
« Back to Dental Hygiene Home Page
- Periodic Oral Examination Dana Point - Patients in Dana Point ask, "What is involved in periodic oral examination?"
- Family Dentist Laguna Niguel - Your Infant's First Dental Visit
- Periodontal Disease - The Fight Goes On
- Periodontal Disease Dana Point - Breath of Fresh Air
- Pediatric Dentistry Laguna Niguel - Tooth brushing can be a risky business for children
- Dana Point Dentist - What's a Rubber Dam?
- Gum Disease Laguna Niguel - No Room for Uninvited Guests
- Dentist in Dana Point - Your Dentist Sees More Than Just Your Teeth
- Sleep Apnea Laguna Niguel - What's Sleep Apnea?
- Snoring Laguna Niguel - What are the main causes of snoring?
- Laguna Niguel Sleep Apnea - Is snoring the same as Sleep Apnea?
- Fluoride Treatment Laguna Niguel - What's fluoride and why do we need it?
- Dental Sealants Laguna Niguel - What are dental sealants?
- Sleep Apnea in Laguna Niguel - What's the Difference Between Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea?
- Periodontal Treatment Laguna Niguel - How periodontal treatment in Laguna Niguel can improve your quality of life