All of your natural teeth are at risk for developing dental caries, otherwise known as cavities or tooth decay. Because of the very nature of our teeth, acids and bacteria can eat away at the enamel, damaging them from the outside. Tooth decay can lead to a number of issues including periodontal disease, a serious condition which results in the loss of jawbone and teeth, and can actually affect the health of your entire body.
It is simply not a risk worth taking. That's why many people consider dental sealants to protect and preserve their teeth.
Dental sealants are typically applied to the molars in order to protect them from cavities. Molars are the primary teeth involved in chewing. Since they naturally have a number of grooves and pits which tend to trap particles of food and bacteria, they have a higher risk of developing cavities. Back teeth are also harder-to-reach surfaces for brushing. A dental sealant is a great way to protect your molars, regardless of your age, brushing habits, or oral care.
Dental sealant does not require any drilling or filing of the tooth. It is a plastic-like substance that is painted onto the molar. This material is either self-curing or requires a special light to cure and harden it. A sealant treatment is affordable, and can last five or more years. Other people cannot tell you have sealant on your teeth. It is clear or white, and invisible. All they will see is a healthy smile, free of cavities.
For those who are concerned about the development of cavities on their molars, dental sealants may be a great solution to protect your natural enamel. Call today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Cruz to find out if dental sealants can help you protect and preserve your teeth so they last a lifetime!
« Back to Dental Hygiene Home Page
- Periodic Oral Examination Dana Point - Patients in Dana Point ask, "What is involved in periodic oral examination?"
- Family Dentist Laguna Niguel - Your Infant's First Dental Visit
- Periodontal Disease - The Fight Goes On
- Periodontal Disease Dana Point - Breath of Fresh Air
- Pediatric Dentistry Laguna Niguel - Tooth brushing can be a risky business for children
- Dana Point Dentist - What's a Rubber Dam?
- Gum Disease Laguna Niguel - No Room for Uninvited Guests
- Dentist in Dana Point - Your Dentist Sees More Than Just Your Teeth
- Sleep Apnea Laguna Niguel - What's Sleep Apnea?
- Snoring Laguna Niguel - What are the main causes of snoring?
- Laguna Niguel Sleep Apnea - Is snoring the same as Sleep Apnea?
- Fluoride Treatment Laguna Niguel - What's fluoride and why do we need it?
- Dental Sealants Laguna Niguel - What are dental sealants?
- Sleep Apnea in Laguna Niguel - What's the Difference Between Obstructive and Central Sleep Apnea?
- Periodontal Treatment Laguna Niguel - How periodontal treatment in Laguna Niguel can improve your quality of life